Sunday, May 20, 2012

PT Run

      
Nutrition: Ovaltine. There are supplement empires. They tout whey protein isolates & casein super proteins, seems to me that milk contains all these naturally. The Ovaltine adds the carbs for the ideal 1-4 protien to carb ratio. Vitamins & minerals can’t hurt & I feel safer with a product marketed at kids. Some of these supplement companies have been found with unhealthy amounts of bad stuff in their products. Google “ Protien Drinks Consumer Reports”.

Diet: I have slowly been able to change the way I feel about food. I have found the less I think about it the easier it is to control my appetite. That doesn’t mean I don’t stay prepared at all times for hunger emergencies. I have found the hunger will often pass after a few minutes & not return for up to an hour. If I do this more than three times consecutive, it is difficult to satiate with 4 or 500 calories & I’m setting myself up for a food binge. I eat for one reason, to satiate hunger. No matter how hard I try to lose weight with exercise, it is futile if I can’t control my diet.  

Workouts: TARMAC IS EVIL!!!  I can’t run if I’m injuried. I’m 47 years years old. I don’t understand why people still run on concrete & asphalt. It wears out my equipment & body prematurely.

Stretching: Until last year I didn’t subscribe to the notion that stretching was necessary unless I was injured. The wonderful people at Multicare Sports Medicine set me straight after damaging both Achilles & hamstrings. I am no expert (at anything), but I will share what works for me.

Motivation: My primary motivation started with lying in a hospital bed not knowing what was wrong with me. I promised myself that if I got out, I was going to make damn sure I did everything I could to not return. I still occasionally draw on that feeling of hopelessness after a long break to get me kick started.

Equipment: Cheap is relative, my equipment may seem extravagant to some & shabby to others. My primary concern when making a purchase is value. I try to find the illusive line of diminishing returns. The easiest example I can give is with bicycles. Is a $1K  bike twice as good performance wise as a $500? Probably in my perspective. Is a $4K bike twice the bike of a $2k bike? Little harder for me to determine. $10K bike over a $5K bike? I probable couldn’t tell the difference if the components were the same.

Rant: Dog mess, I remember when I was a kid it was everywhere. I remember stepping in it all the time. These days I still see it occasionally, especially running. I’m a creature of habit & run the same route day after day. I am not a dog owner although I grew up with them. Dogs to me are like kids, some are cool if they’re treated proper by their owner. Never underestimate how much someone cares for their pet.  Here’s my point, dog owners care about how they are perceived as a whole. I can tell because when I see a mess, it is almost always gone the next day. I don’t remember vanishing dog mess when I was a kid. Today’s mess was too messy for the owner, but the pouring rain will make quick use of it.

Don’t get me started on dog urine killing my perfectly manicured yard that I pour my heart & soul into.  

                                                                                                                                                        
Untitled by schrup at Garmin Connect - Details








No comments:

Post a Comment